Copywriting! This skill is guaranteed to help you!
In this guide, you'll find out what it is, why you need it, how to learn it, and how to make money from it!
Copywriting is rearranging words on a page so you convince people to do something.
It is very similar to salesmanship. Any questions that apply to salesmanship also apply to copywriting.
Copywriting is also a science.
That means it's back up by psychology, number crunching, and testing.
It's been established by men such as Claude Hopkins since the late 19th century.
Copywriting is a branch of a much larger tree (psychology).
Psychology > Persuasion > Salesmanship > Copywriting
Any writing can be edited to convince people to do something you want!
If you are a business owner, you can convince more people to buy from you!
If you are a freelancer, you can convince more people to hire you!
If you are looking for a job, these skills will help you with your resume!
If you have a job, this will help you communicate with your boss(es) or clients better!
Psychology will always be useful.
But copywriting has the huge bonus of being in writing! Millions of people can read your persuasive words.
That is the unique thing about copywriting, if you apply it to business, you can become rich with literally just an idea and words on paper!
To learn this skill, you should start with "Gary Halbert's 30 Day Copywriting Challenge".
Gary Halbert was a very famous copywriter. He died in 2007.
His sons, Kevin and Bond, manage a website that has a lot of their father's material for free!
The website is a collection of letters that Gary Halbert used to send to people who paid for a newsletter subscription.
Let me give you a summary of what you have to do:
- Read the books, start with "Scientific Advertising" by Claude Hopkins.
- Get copies of the advertisements listed and write them out by hand.
- Type your work and edit the formatting so that it's easy to read.
- Reread and take notes on the books!
- Write down every good headline you find.
- Take notes on whatever you plan on selling.
Plus 3 of the books on the list! Buy the rest, or check your local library!
(I won't go into details on the fundamentals of copywriting, the books will teach you!)
"Gary Halbert's 30 Day Challenge" includes a large collection of books, but here are some more books that you can read:
"First Hundred Million" -by
"My Life in Advertising" -by Claude C. Hopkins
"12 Month Millionaire" -by Vincent James
"The Ultimate Sales Letter" -by Dan S. Kennedy
"The Adweek Copywriting Handbook" -by Joseph Sugarman
"Ogilvy on Advertising" -by David Ogilvy
"Cashvertising" -by Drew Eric Whitman
- Having the right appeal and a good headline are the most important parts of your advertisement
- A good headline offers a solution, offers news, and makes it seem quick and easy (i.e "How A Fool's Stunt Made Me A Star Salesman")
- Your copy can never be too long, only too boring.
- Always give an amazing offer and guarantee.
- Showcasing benefits is always better than showcasing features.
- Pictures should highlight having a problem solved and should have captions explaining it!
- Always test an advertising idea you are not sure about (spend a tiny amount of $ on "A/B testing")
- There is more to the topic than this! Read the books to find out!
You can make your copywriting skill a career or part time work! You can also work anywhere if you have a computer, internet access, a pencil, and paper.
All you have to do is sign up for two websites:
Use what you have learned from the books to sell yourself on these websites.
Go to Fiverr. Offer to write advertisements, headlines, product descriptions, etc. for $5 to gain work experience.
Go to Upwork. take some tests, add your best work to your portfolio, and offer to help people.
Your first job will always be the hardest to get. My best advice is to make sure you tell people "Hi! Here's what I can do to help you with...". DO NOT WRITE something along the lines of "I have X experience in Copywriting, please hire me."
My best advice is to make sure you tell people "Hi! Here's what I can do to help you with...". DO NOT WRITE something along the lines of "I have X experience in Copywriting, please hire me." Follow this bit of advice and you'll do fine!
As you become a trusted, reliable, and well-known person, more people will ask for your help. Raise your prices.
With enough time and effort, you can make this a lifelong career. Or you can use the money to fund your own business projects.
Have in questions, comments, critiques, suggestions?
Leave a comment below!
Or share this with someone you know! They will appreciate your help!